Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Breakie Got You Stumped???

Southwest Steak, Peppers & Eggs


     So we're one day into the 60 Day Paleo Challenge and the most common question so far has been....
"What am I supposed to eat for breakfast?" Followed by..."What do you mean I can't have my oatmeal?" and "You mean I have to drink my coffee black?"

    When I first embarked on my Paleo journey I had the exact same questions. I thought, "There's just no way in hell I'm going to drink black coffee!!" Before converting, I thought only long distance truckers ate steak and eggs for breakfast! Turns out, black coffee has a completely different intrigue than it's creamy, sweet counterpart; and steak and eggs IS actually the breakfast of champions!

A few tips to make Paleo breakfast time a little easier:

  1. If we learned to prefer coffee with cream and sugar, surely we can also learn to enjoy it without! Be a bad-ass and have it black!
  2. If you really can't let go of the creamy flavor, coconut milk works well. Watch out for the canned stuff though, it has a tendency to curdle. I love this Coconut Milk Powder it's great to have on hand for all sorts of recipes!
  3. Learn to like "supper foods" for breakfast
  4. I always make sure I have leftover protein from supper to add to my morning omelette. Its super quick to toss some eggs, and chopped up veggies in a pan and voila!!! A perfect start to your day!
  5. If you're in a rush, some apple slices with organic almond butter is amazing too.
  6. Smoothies are also great in a rush. Often my day at the gym starts at 5 am, way to early to even contemplate cooking!! For those early mornings I will make a smoothie the night before and keep it in the fridge until morning. Smoothie and a few almonds and I'm off to a great start!
     The dish above was this mornings breakfast.
What better way to kick off the Challenge than a hearty breakfast! 

Southwest Steak, Peppers & Eggs 
  1. Saute peppers and onions in a little EVOO with the southwest seasoning
  2. Once peppers and onions are brown in color, add the beef. Saute until meat is warm
  3. Add eggs, cook and serve topped with a bit of tomato or avocado
This recipe is totally versatile! Use any meat you have leftover in the fridge. Experiment with veggie and spice combinations.

Arm your kitchen with a variety of Salt-free seasonings and herbs and you'll never have a boring breakie!
Happy cooking people!!


3 comments:

  1. Okay, so I am amazed how good roast beef tastes in eggs, I was a little skeptical, but I am now a believer!! I just did mine with green onion and parsley - so yummy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! great option! I had steak and eggs for breakfast as well... it was weird as I am not usually a big breakfast eater :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's delsih!! I almost feel naughty in a way eating such a hearty breakfast compared to my former oats,fruit and yogurt meals.

    ReplyDelete