Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Passion Discovered

  

      I'm sure by now many of you have noticed that my life, body, mind and soul have been taken over by this thing called CrossFit. A year ago one of my gym members Sheila came in for her regular workout... or so I thought. As I was working away at the front desk, out of the corner of my eye I saw Sheila doing some movements I had never seen before. Crazy intense stuff like tossing a giant 16lb medicine ball from a deep squat up to a target high on the wall, then immediately dropping to the floor for a round of  Burpees. I was completely intrigued, I couldn't take my eyes off her! As I watched I wondered, why would anyone knowingly put themselves through that business! Those of you that know and love the dreaded "Burpee" understand what I mean. At times it almost looked like she was having fun! Between gasps for air and the odd rest to regain her composure, I actually noticed her smile a few times.

More Info...

     Less than 30 minutes after arriving, Sheila walked past me completley drenched with sweat, wearing a huge smile, her presence full of power, strength and accomplishment. I needed some of that, I thought!! At that point my regular workouts, rife with leg presses and bicep curls had grown mundane. I needed to be put through the ringer!! I wanted to come to the gym and feel like it chewed me up and spit me back out on the street!

     So began my journey with CrossFit. I was hooked instantly! This stuff should have a warning label, it's 100% addictive and seriously habit forming! Here's the deal, in the words of CrossFit founder, Coach Greg Glassman:

World Class Fitness in 100 Words:
  • Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not support body fat.
  • Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, clean & jerk, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast.
  • Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense.
  • Regularly learn and play new sports.

     The CrossFit Rx (perscription) for fitness totally resonates with my defenition of what constitutes a true athlete. Being functionally fit and capable of performing well at any given task anytime at varied intensities. The ability to increase work capacity across broad time and modal domains. The sport of fitness. Specializing in not specializing.

     With CrossFit there is no longer fear of a mundane day at the gym! The movements range from the simple squat to the highly technical snatch. From the classic push-up to the strength & grace of the Muscle Up. The mix of complexity and intensity keep me completely engaged and focused the entire time. During my workouts I've encountered and destroyed mental and physical barriers I didn't even know I had! I've gone to dark places within and have become a stronger athlete for it.

     Sometimes our greatest passions are discovered the moment we stop searching.
     What are you searching for......

No comments:

Post a Comment